A feature of music that I'm currently loving and rocking my socks off to, and I'm thinking I'll keep some kind of theme for each Mixtape post. We'll see how it goes.
Now, for the first Mixtape, I've recently been in love with music that makes me want to just get up and dance (really, there are few funnier sights than me jumping around in my bedroom at 3 in the morning, and then having my brother walk in the room. Also, quite embarassing.). In particular, some great dance punk, electronica, post-punk, and so forth. Recommended: lock the door if you do indulge in some midnight dancing to save yourself from other people walking in.
1. Cansei De Ser Sexy (CSS) - "Music is My Hot, Hot Sex"

Literally translated to "Tired of Being Sexy," CSS are unmistakebly one of the hottest new bands hailing from Brazil to grace Pandabelle's ears. Even now as I sit here listening to it for, as iTunes is telling me, the 27th time, I'm still moving up and down. To quote their website: "It careers full speed into dance territory, into the unknown and untouched, to emerge all hot and bothered with wild electro-rock. Pretension? Absent. Friction? Probable. They are the un-pretension: unfinished, exposed, and throwing all they have right at you. It is quick, tightly-wound, unfastened and supreme. Not a sneer but a giggle."

2. Cut Copy - "Going Nowhere"
This Australian band (yay Aussies!) has obvious Daft Punk and New Order influences, yet also makes the music completely their own, with some strong rock undertones. I love how the bass is subtle, yet gives the song that extra depth, and the funky electronic sounds bring it to new heights.
3. Datarock - "Computer Camp Love"

Described as kitsch electro pop combined with punk jamming and quirky humour, Datarock were an accidental stumble-upon for me. For those who don't use last.fm, I strongly suggest you get one, because some of the "similar artists" that they recommend are absolute gems - in this case, Datarock's amazing tune, "Computer Camp Love." Starting off slowly, it starts to build upon the guitar layer by layer, adding in the bass, clicks and then the rich vocals, deep with falsetto-sounding backing vocals. It's like a conversation between the high and the low, and the witty lyrics and funky rhymes will definitely leave you smiling.
4. The Rapture - "I Need Your Love"I don't think it gets much better than the Rapture, in my humble opinion. Since their 2003 release of "Echoes," the bands popularity has risen hugely, and for good reason. The song begins with some trippy electronic beats, setting the mood for the rest of the song - fast paced, exciting and exhilarating. Vocalist Luke Jenner's high pitched voice adds to the sense of need and longing as he cries out, "I need your love! I need your love!" I definitely could use some love from him - he's cute!
5. New Young Pony Club - "Ice Cream"

"I can give you what you want. I can make your heartbeat short. I can make you ice cream, we can be a sweet team, melting in your vice dreams." I love the opening lyrics to this song. New Young Pony Club's "Ice Cream," one of their first singles, has already been causing a stir in the music world. These new rave rockers have such an invigoratingly upbeat sound, and the female vocals are awesome. Cowbells in the percussion? Oh yes. Disco-tastic beats? You betcha. Definitely worth getting your groove on to.
6. !!! - "Pardon My Freedom"A little confused by the band name? I was too at first. Pronounced with a repetition three times of any one syllable sound (most popularly, chk chk chk), these punk funk dance machines are simply awesome. The dance grooves are excellent; however, a commonly critiqued aspect of the band is their political lyrics, which detract from the quality of the album as being too obvious, cliché, unorginial. But when they stick to the music, you get some amazingly sophisticated sounds that get the feet moving instantly.
That's all I've got for now, kids. Let me know what you think of these songs and bands if you do check them out. I'm thinking of making an accompanying post of the perfect clothes one should wear when planning on dancing to some new rave beats. Opinion?

6 comments:
You have to be more pretentious if you're going to make it. You should start by hating all music. Right now.
hahaha....hey leave her alone i have taught my beautiful belle belle to look at the positive side of life
but perhaps a section where you post about bands you don't really dig would be interesting...DJ said it not me hehehehe
*FREE LOVE AND PEACE*
Shush Dj, pretension is not an admirable quality in anyone haha.
And you know I'm pretentious enough already as it is.
Ambie darling, a blog? You're too cute. =] Maybe I'll do some reviews later that are just musical critiques. All in due time!
ya i know, i decided to try it but i think my lack of technological knowledge and my equal lack of commitment will mean my interest will fizzle out....VERY SOON...like now hahahah
it's too much effort dude
but my pandabelle makes the best damn bloggy ever kawaii..
xoxoxo
nice list! cut copy and css are awesome live and if u like css, go check out bonde do role. they mite even make the version 2 of ur list.
Thanks for the comment, Ro!
I'm really upset that the day before I arrive in Sydney, Cut Copy are playing. The day before! It breaks my heart that I'll miss them.
And I'll certainly check out Bonde Do Role, thanks for the recommendation!
Post a Comment